Monday 24 December 2012

Post #5 - Menhir

'Acid' Pitted Menhir (#2) 2011

Another follow up to my slab builds, this time about enclosed sculptural forms I have been calling Menhirs.

The build followed the same procedure as my disastrous slab vase from earlier. This time, taking two oval shaped slabs and joining them completely, leaving a width at the base - won't do for it to fall over - then adding a simple slab to the bottom. For stability I would carve out a recess, and for identification put my unique stamp mark into that.

Fissured Menhir (#1) 2011

This one warped after glaze fire, but it did so, fortunately, in a way you wouldn't notice unless I pointed it out to you. Annoyingly I haven't taken a decent photo of it yet.  The pitted and grooved surfaces of these two Menhirs here are part of my interest in nature. I am fascinated by erosion and the changing landscape, and I'll come back to these themes for a dedicated post.


...and standing along alongside a 'flint' Menhir, an experiment in shape and texture. I used a wood carving tool to create a sort of napped flint-like texture. The final outcome was disastrous - this one came out severely bent after glaze firing. The only explanation must be the clay I carved away to create the texture, thinning the slab, therefore affecting the internal force balance during shrinkage. The poured glazed (had no chance to spray it) also has much to be desired. Still, another set of mistakes to learn from.


I don't have the resources to be more elaborate with my finishes. It would have been great if I could get a proper shiny metal glaze for the pitted areas, I would love to see it with a bright metallic finish. I've investigated the contrast between rough ceramic and smooth metal a few times now, and I will save commentary for yet another dedicated post.

~J~

No comments:

Post a Comment