Friday 12 October 2012

Introduction...

Welcome to 'A Journal for an Occasional Ceramicist'.

This blog has the sole purpose of recording a few of my clay sculpture projects worth documenting in depth. I have taken plenty of photos of my sculptures in progress, so each post is to be a stage by stage record, from concept to finished article. If this proves to be of interest, then thank you for taking an interest. If you have any queries, feel free to inquire.

So why 'Occasional'? Under better circumstances there would be many projects to describe, but there aren't. Unless things improve in the near future, there won't be many more projects like these to describe for quite some time, hence the 'Occasional'. Quite simply, if you have no dedicated studio to work from full-time, being a potter/sculptor is very, very difficult.

I would have really enjoyed studying for a ceramics degree (though I have taken an art degree), but I have learnt clay through evening classes to start with, and generally learnt as I went along, getting help and advice when needed from tutors, who were/are Ed Gould (from 2003-05), and Sam Fitzgerald-Scales (2010-), both well established potters.

I'm going to start with one of my all time favourite (and one of my earliest) pieces. This is as conventional as I'm going to get with this blog.

(2003, Porcelain, cream coloured glaze over tenmoku)

Future posts: Frustrum, Tetrahedral, Erosion, Horse, Reflection, Spiky, Menhir, Moon.
I aim to blog every week or so. That will keep things ticking over until Xmas.

This is going to be interesting.

~J~


*Credit: heartfelt thanks go to GNB for suggesting I do this. I wouldn't have even thought it worthwhile if left to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment